tirsdag den 7. januar 2014

07.01.2014

A few days have gone and I feel pretty settled. My room is decent and the people I stay with are friendly - although rather special! A lady who looks at herself as some sort of business lady and an Asian lad who works in a local garage and barely speaks a word of English. Oh well!
We don't start at the university before Thursday so we've had plenty of time to discover some of the pubs around town - with great pleasure! If you like a good ale or a pint of Guinness then Manchester is the place to be.

Manchester is quite a funny place in the way the city is build up. The city centre it self is quite small but if you include all the suburbs it is a very large city. Manchester was the first industrialized city in the world and grew from being a tiny market town to a huge metropolis within a few years during the industrialization. It can probably boost more "worlds firsts" than any other city in Europe and for anyone going here I can recommend going to the Museum of science and industry in the city centre if you have any interest in history. The history of the city is clear when you walk around. Everywhere you are greeted with a mix of old warehouses, ugly tower blocks and fancy new glass buildings. This mix makes a walk around Manchester rather interesting.

Sunday was spent at Old Trafford. We (Manchester United) are having our worst season since before I was born - at least things can only improve! Anyway it is always great to be there and cheer the lads on. I've bought myself a season ticket so there will be plenty of trips to watch United in the upcoming months. Next up is Saturday!

My old boss at Starbucks has just confirmed that I'll be working a few shifts too. Obviously it won't be that much as I need time to study but it'll still be a good break from university and I'm looking forward to see all the old Starbucks tossers again.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar